Saturday 22 November 2014

Experiencing Village & its beauty


This is an incident that took place recently, when I decided to spend my diwali holidays in a Tamil village with one of my classmate. It was the end of terminal exams and starting of model exams continuing till university exams. Expecting the busy season ahead I have decided to make a trip to somewhere in search of peace. Unexpectedly 'Meialakan' an amiable fellow from erode invited me to his village where they arranged a trip to 'kolli hills - the dangerous road in 
south India with 70 hairpin turns. 

It was the second time for me to reach his home where two children Naveen and Jyothika gave me company. When I visited that village last time they told me that the rain only visits them rarely and for two years there was no rain. Such a situation where there is no water to drink and to cultivate grains. The Kaveri river seemed to be like the spill ways. But this time nature blessed them with enough rain that covered their land with a green carpet. Even ponds and wells got filled. In the diwali evening we were playing with the crackers at his home and was planning about next day trip.

Unfortunately the arrival of an unexpected guest destroyed our plan with their animal sacrifice ceremony for thanksgiving. So because the function can't be avoided we abort the plan for trip and decided to stay at his grandpa's house. His grandpa's house is a three room habitat with an extended verandah where they actually live.

Sun moved a few hours other side when we reached his grandpa's house. There were some elderly people including his uncle and aunts preparing food for the relatives.  They were all present for the temple function of offering goat for their god. The animal sacrifice ceremony is performed a kilometer away temple where many of the localities usually pray for the well being of their village. In that agricultural village most of the people used to travel in a cycle structured motor scooter and only the coming generations use motor bikes which are more stable than their usual vehicle. So because we came in the motor bike we are assigned for taking the offering goat to temple nearby. I felt so excited being there because it was my first experience watching a Tamil custom in a village. Then the time got ready. They taught me how to hold a goat in my lap avoiding its  jumping from the bike. So he started the bike; I diligently took the goat and sat behind. Goat was big and heavy. The heart of heavy goat was beating quiet giving me a poke at my thigh lap. It was enjoying its final moments of life silently. Even if it had a bad odour of shit, I never felt it bad. Within minutes came the temple. There was a small crowd present with their offerings like goats, hens and a small pig. It was nearly 9:30pm when the prayer started with ringing bells and lifted fire. The priest suddenly started dancing, shivering his hands and rotating his head. Watching him doing like this I made a confused glance at Meialakan standing at my side. He replayed that ' saami vandath' means 'The God has  Came '. After a pause of time two of the elderly ladies also started dancing, shivering body and rotating heads. They all show the presence of god among them. Then the priest took a small vessel full of water and came dancing. Two of the strong men came forward and hold him for support. They took him to every goat and he took some water in his palm and poured it on each goat head. Everyone seems to be eagerly looking onto each goat after this ritual of water pouring. Soon the goats started to shook their head in order to get the water out of their head. The elder people made some sound showing some kind of end to their anticipation. I twisted my head and made an expression of ignorance. Meialakan understood my question mark shaped expressions reason and explained. '' They are asking the goat for its affirmation with the pouring water and when the goat shook its head implies its confirmation in taking its life.'' With no possibility to chide, whatever it be a goat or human it will surely shook its head when water is poured above head . Do you feel it so terrible ? What about experience watching it!
After getting approval from every keda(goat) they made it ready for its sacrifice, holding its upper legs together with one leg and lower legs with other. The dancing priest came with a knife to cut each goats head. I began to abhor that scene and stood confused whether to see it or not to. As the first goat left its blood I find it so hard looking at it. So to inhibit that scene of murder, I diverted my point of view straight so that I can find a gathering of ladies at the opposite side. There every lady was of my mothers age or more.

Between them I started searching for a young girl without hope of finding one. At the back of that group I suddenly stuck at two beautiful eyes which were looking on the god statue. All of a sudden it pointed straight on me. With the excitement of that look and remembering the strength of Tamil slap, I diverted my view and acted like I'm behaving casually. Again after some seconds I repeated looking back at her. Only some parts of her face including eyes were visible. She appeared like a gem in dug so that I adjusted myself here and there to see her between the crowd. At that time meialakan interrupted. " Hey look here; See how the pig is getting killed. " There the girl disappeared between the crowd and every eyes were killing the final pig visually. A small pig was held tight horizontally and the priest came with a vel (kundham). He inserted it into its throat giving end to its small life. The small pig gave its life crying out loud like a simple cat. There was an old callous man with a clay pot, collecting hot blood of every baits. I doubted myself whether that man have no emotions while collecting those blood sprayed even at his arms. The man with a pot full of innocent blood appeared so feral. Can you believe he serve god ?

When they finished killing the last that ground appeared like a war field with beheaded goats and full of blood. Fourteen pigs, ten hens and a small pig sacrificed their life for humans. While packing the goat meat back to home I searched for that owner of beautiful eyes. At the back of a tree I found her wearing a green silk saree and was talking with two small kids. But what made me sad was her bulging stomach carrying a heavy kid inside. Those kids were even calling her 'mom'.

We came back to home ready to prepare mutton curry. They took the goat skin carefully and was cutting its legs. The head and the legs were burnt in fire and kept stored for months like the old people of ancient periods. That night was my session to chat with those village people and they became my very good listeners. They enjoyed  talking with me and my eloquent speech were interesting for them like never before. I wanted to ask them about this ritual of brutal behavior, but I understood my position as a guest and made myself silent in questioning them in something related to their belief.

The next day mutton curry was not good for me and remembered me about the last night seen of assassinated goats. I vomited that morning and find it difficult to eat something. We returned that day morning. Being a village boy in that agricultural village was wonderful. Enjoying every moment and  experiencing something new like the volleyball match in midnight, the cycle ride between crop fields, getting friends with his friends, the kedavett, watching agricultural fields etc were awesome. Being a listener for their dreams was been also a wonderful experience. While returning back from there I felt myself proud for getting such a chance in exploring such a village.




Author:

0 comments: